Saturday, February 4, 2012

Homemade Laundry Detergent- Dry








Day 4...never say never! I swore I'd NEVER, EVER make my own laundry detergent. I've heard of people cooking up their own and it sounded like too much damn work. I'm trying to catch up on mountains of laundry around here and I was going through the expensive stuff in no time. Enter a recipe for homemade:


- 1 box of Borax (4 pounds, 12 ounces)

- 1 box BAKING soda (4 pounds)

- 1 box of WASHING soda (3 pounds, 7 ounces)

- 3 bars of Fels-Naptha soap

- Oxy-type cleaner (about 3 to 3.5 pounds)


I used our kitchen trash can to mix all of the dry ingredients, then grated (or you can food process) the bars of soap and stirred those into the mix. The Hubs and I joked that Fudge, who helped me stir this up, would take this story to school and it would sound like we're running a meth lab. So for all of my teacher friends, yes, hard to believe but we really did make laundry detergent. Store in an air-tight container and you've got detergent to last you for months, for under $15...pennies per load!


I'm told you can use 1 TBSP per load, but I use 2 TBSP. This is also fine for HE machines- just don't put it in the dispenser- place it in the drum once you load the clothes. Let me know if you give it a try!

No comments:

Post a Comment