Tuesday, March 30, 2010

1910 or 2010 and the Cult of Catholicism

Thanks to modern technology, news travels in a nansecond, versus weeks or months. Today I was on the ever popular Facebook for a few minutes and an openly gay friend of mine posted an article about a woman who was denied access to her dying partner, because they were gay. Regardless of my, or anyone else's, opinion on the topic of homosexuality, shouldn't you have who you want by your side when you are on your deathbed? To me, sexual preference has nothing to do with basic common decency. I appreciate my friend sharing this article and enlightening a broader base of the discrimination that continues, even if the major media outlets are not shining a light on it.

From that article, I saw a link to another article that made my head spin. Two children kicked out of their school, a Catholic school, because they have "two moms." How is that for loving others through Christ? No offense is meant to my Catholic friends and family, but the Catholic church has always mystified me in how they consider themselves followers of Christ. I cannot find a Biblical basis for purgatory, praying to Mary, confession to a priest, all of the non-Biblical rules from Vatican II, burning folks at the stake, praying to saints, not encouraging reading the Bible but instead diluting and brainwashing a perversion of the good book via the homily, and the list goes on...back to the kids kicked out of their school. Hmmm...did they kick out the kids whose parents are divorced? What about the parents using birth control- did those kids get kicked out too? What about those who eat meat on Fridays during Lent? Aren't all of these also "sins" in the Catholic church? Now we are delineating some sins as more aggregious than others? I was always raised a sin, is a sin, is a sin and let he/she who is blameless cast the first stone. So, the Catholic church continues to sexually abuse children, but letting two kids stay in school because they have gay parents is out of the question? Really?! This was shockingly eyeopening to me that this prejudice exists today- are we in the early 1900s? Such a sad state of affairs.

And the current Pope? He's rumored to have ties to a Nazi background and while he condemns capitol punishment for rapists and mass murderers, he continues to refuse to condemn the Uganda death penalty for being gay bill. Lest we forget the words of Pastor Martin Niemoller:

"THEY CAME FIRST for the Communists,and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Communist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Jews,and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a Jew.

THEN THEY CAME for the trade unionists,and I didn't speak up because I wasn't a trade unionist.

THEN THEY CAME for the Catholics,and I didn’t speak up because I was a Protestant.

THEN THEY CAME for meand by that time no one was left to speak up."

No comments:

Post a Comment